Women aged 35-64 are significantly more likely to click on Facebook ads than any other age/gender cohort. 70% of YouTube video views are on mobile devices. LinkedIn ads reportedly reach 100% of the adult population in Bermuda.
Those are just a few of the social network-specific findings from the recently-released Digital 2021 Global Overview Report, compiled by We Are Social and Hootsuite.
Recent posts here detailed 12 Fascinating Facts About Global Internet Use in 2021 and 15 (More) Fascinating Facts About Internet and Social Media Use in 2021, compiled from that report. This third and final post in the series presents 37 (actually 40, counting the three above) more intriguing and actionable stats and facts pulled from that research.
Facebook Facts and Statistics
- Facebook advertising reaches 2.18 billion people, or 36% of all adults and teenagers on earth.
- As massive as Facebook is, it’s still growing by double-digit percentages, on average, year after year. Total monthly active users increased 77% from 2015 to 2020.
- More than half (55.2%) of Facebook’s total advertising audience is between the ages of 18 and 34. But the fastest growing cohort is older users, particularly men over age 45, up more than 20% in the past year.
- Facebook advertising reaches 190 million people in the U.S., and 38 million in the U.K.
- An astounding 81% of Facebook users globally are mobile-only. Four-fifths of Facebook mobile app users are on Android devices.
- More than 50% of all Facebook users speak English. Roughly 16% are Spanish speakers, and 8% speak Hindi. Rounding out the top seven languages on Facebook (with more than 100 million users each) are Arabic, Indonesian, and Portuguese (about 7% each), and French (5.5%).
- The average Facebook user “likes” 11 posts each month. By region, Europeans are most inclined to like posts, while Asians like the fewest.
- Post engagement rate declines as the number of Facebook followers a company has increases. Business pages with fewer than 10,000 fans have more than five times the engagement rate of pages with more than 100,000 fans.
- The 20 most popular Facebook pages (see below) are an eclectic mix of consumer brands, soccer, music, and news. And somehow, Mr. Bean has one million more followers than Vin Diesel.
Instagram Facts and Stats
- Instagram advertising reaches 1.22 billion people, or 20% of all adults and teenagers on earth.
- Roughly 60% of Instagram’s global advertising audience is between the ages of 18 and 34. But the fastest growing cohort is men aged 55-64, followed by young teens regardless of gender.
- Instagram ads reach 140 million users in the U.S., and 31 million in the U.K.
- 17 of the 20 most popular Instagram accounts are celebrities. National Geographic stands apart from that group, at #11.
- The most popular hashtag on Instagram is #love. Also among the top 30 are #fashion (3), #photography (7), #travel (16), #fitness (24), #food (26), and #friends (28).
YouTube Facts and Stats
- YouTube has two billion monthly active users, who collectively watch roughly one billion hours of video each day.
- YouTube advertising reaches an astounding 240 million users in the U.S., and 53 million in the U.K.
- Of the top 20 search words on YouTube, half are related to songs or music.
- These are the 20 most popular YouTube accounts. I have no explanation.
LinkedIn Facts and Stats
- LinkedIn advertising reaches 727 million people, or 13% of all adults on the planet.
- 60% of the audience reached by LinkedIn ads are young professionals (aged 25-34).
- LinkedIn ads reach an impressive 170 million users (66% of all adults) in the U.S.; 30 million in the U.K., 18 million in Canada; and 12 million in Australia.
Snapchat Facts and Stats
- Snapchat advertising (somehow) reaches 498 million users worldwide.
- More than 82% of Snapchat users are under the age of 35. Over 60% are under age 25.
- Snapchat ads can potentially reach 108 million people in the U.S., and 21 million in the U.K.
- Though Snapchat ads reach just 8.2% of the global population aged 13 or older, they reach 71% of that population in both Saudi Arabia and Norway, more than half in Denmark, and almost 39% in the U.S.
Twitter Facts and Stats
- Twitter advertising reaches 353 million people, or just about 6% of all adults and teenagers on earth.
- More than 2/3 of Twitter users are male. More than half (53.6%) are males aged 18 to 49.
- Twitter ads have the potential to reach more than 69 million users in the U.S.; sixteen and half million in the UK; and six and and half million in Canada.
- In the U.K., roughly 29% of the total population aged 13 and up are on Twitter. That figure is 25% in the U.S., and almost 20% in Canada.
- It’s tough to believe that 68% of Twitter users are male when five of the top 10 (Katy Perry, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, and Ariana Grande) and eight of the top 20 Twitter accounts are pop divas.
- It’s also odd, given that Twitter is still viewed as the second-best social network for B2B marketers, that there is only one (somewhat) business-related account among the most-followed group—Bill Gates at #20.
Pinterest Facts and Stats
- Pinterest ads can reach roughly 201 million people around the world, equating to 3.3% of global Internet users aged 13 and up. It’s user base is 77.1% female.
- 58% of Pinterest users are women aged 18 to 44.
- Ads on Pinterest have the potential to reach (in round numbers), 101 million people in the U.S., 11 million in the U.K., 10 million in Canada, and four million in Australia.
Other Social Media Platforms
- Chinese spyware tool TikTok is used by 689 million adults and teens globally, or more than 11% of all Internet users. That’s a lot of data to feed China’s AI development.
- Reddit reaches 430 million users, or 7% of global Internet users aged 13 and up.
- Quora has 300 million readers, or 4.9% of online adults and teens worldwide.
That’s a Wrap!
Again, there’s much more in the We Are Social / Hootsuite report, so check out their study to get all of their findings and insights.