The word “explosive” hardly does justice to describing the growth of the Internet over the past two decades. There were less than 100 million websites (actually, about 93 million) active in 2000; today there are 1.75 billion.
That’s just one of the more than 100 fascinating stats and facts about the Internet today in the infographic below from HostingClues.com. Here are some of the statistics most useful for marketing pros:
- 61% of all Google searches are done on mobile devices (which is why Google has moved to mobile-first indexing for ranking pages).
- Speed matters. The bounce rate of mobile visitors increases by about 12% for each additional second of loading time.
- More than 36% of all websites run on WordPress. It accounts for 63% of all sites built on a content management system (CMS).
Most Internet traffic is driven by search, and most search traffic is (no surprise) driven by Google. A few more useful SEO facts:
- Half of all searches on Google don’t result in click.
- It’s expected that by the end of 2020, 50% of all searches will be voice-based.
- The average click-through rate (CTR) for the top result on Google is 19.3%.
- Organic results still dominate. Only about 7% of desktop clicks and 11% of mobile clicks are on paid ads.
Content Marketing Stats
Content matters. 72% of online marketers say content creation is their most effective SEO tactic. What’s more:
- 77% of Internet users read blogs.
- 36% of blog readers prefer list-based headlines. Interestingly, list posts with an odd number in the headline outperform those with an even number by 20%.
- The average blog post now runs about 1,150 words.
- Content writing is the most outsourced marketing activity (looking for B2B content marketing help?).
Online sales were growing at a strong pace even before COVID-19. The changes forced by the pandemic are accelerating that growth, and much of that change will likely be permanent. Key stats:
- 47% of all global retail sales are now online.
- Nearly a third of all online purchases are made from mobile devices.
- 2.05 billion people—roughly 26% of the global population—shop online.
Social Media Stats
The typical Internet user is online for more than six hours per day, and roughly a third of that time is spend on social media. More key social media facts:
- 3.8 billion people, or nearly half the world’s population, have at least one social media account.
- One out of five online shoppers say they have been motivated to buy a product after it was recommended by a social influencer.
- 43% of consumers use social media to research products and services, and 27% use social media to learn about brands.
There’s lots more in the complete infographic below from HostingClues.com.