Guest post by Darcy Leutkemeyer.
Whether you’re starting a business, documenting your travels or writing for self-expression, transferring great ideas to the Web is a step-by-step process. The excitement of starting a blog can be overwhelming but hastily trying to execute your ideas could backfire in the long-term. From carrying out ideas and choosing a domain name to selecting a design and comparing web hosts on a site like webhostingchoice.com, the steps for publishing a blog should be carefully considered and taken to avoid poor aesthetics or a unreliable CMS program.
Identify the type of blog that you want to create. Ask yourself what you want your blog to focus on.
- Will the content have a first or third person perspective?
- Who will be the target demographic?
- Will it strictly focus on one subject matter such as parenting, or include an array of topics such as parenting, pregnancy, home and cooking?
A blog can be narrowly focused on a genre or include a variety of subject matters. If you want your blog to encompass a variety of categories, then it’s easier to account for those during design and installation at the beginning.
Establish Your Vision and Set Goals
Create a vision for your blog and determine how you see it positioned in the blogosphere.
- Is your blog private and personal? Reserved only for the eyes of families and friends? Or do you want it to reach a large audience?
- Do you want to build relationships with other bloggers and develop an authoritative voice in the blogging community?
- Are you open to advertising such as PPC, pay-per-impression and pay-per-action? Will your blog be a platform for contextual, text-link, impression-based, affiliate or direct ads?
Typically a lot of momentum comes with starting a blog. Set goals for writing and publishing posts so that your efforts don’t wane.
Aim for goals such as:
- Posting once a day
- Analyzing performance
- Requesting link exchanges with relevant, high-quality blogs
- Establishing partnerships with other bloggers
Build Your Blog
Choose a domain name that represents the content and focus of your blog. Your domain name is like the brand of your website; it will reflect its identity and mission.
WorkHappy.net offers the following online tools for establishing a unique, top-notch domain name:
Once you’ve determined your domain name, find a superior Web hosting provider that can provide your blog with reliable uptime, sufficient bandwidth and data storage and expert, responsive technical support. There are helpful resources for bloggers to refer to while researching Web hosting options. You can compare prices, read reviews and learn about which type of server best meets the needs of your blog. WordPress and Joomla are main open-source content management systems that can be installed manually or through your Web host provider. Lastly, select a template that matches the tone and voice of your blog from premier and extensive template collections such as Elegant Themes.com and TemplateMonster.com.
Promote Your Content
Sharing your blog is the most fun and rewarding part of blogging. Engage in social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn and even Pinterest to interest readers and promote your content. Understanding SEO is also essential for expanding your blog and increasing traffic. For optimal SEO, write updated, original content and link to relevant, credible resources. As you start to expand your network, attract readers and gain authority, writing your blog will grow and could even start to profit monetarily.
About the author: Darcy Leutkemeyer has a degree in journalism with an emphasis on digital technology. She also is an avid gamer, much to the dismay of her mother, who was hoping for a pageant queen.