Guest post by Harris Myers.
Link building has played a crucial role in SEO since the early days of search. But as search ranking algorithms have gotten more sophisticated, both quantity and quality are now essential when building (or earning) links to increase the search competitiveness of a website.
While publishing quality content and search-friendly meta data are certainly valuable to improve search rankings, building links from reputable and relevant websites is another vital strategy to ensure that Google will rank your site highly in search engine results pages (SERPs).
Link building can be very challenging to implement properly. It’s crucial to avoid zombie link-building strategies that worked years ago but can lead to serious penalties today. But doing it right can immensely enhance how the search engines view your website. Consequently, it’s important to know the different link building techniques to ensure that you optimize the time, money, and effort that you invest in undertaking this endeavor.
To sum up, here are eight key takeaways from the infographic below from Harris Myers. This infographic shows the different link building techniques you should be using if you want to improve your website’s search rankings today.
- Offer charity works – It’s a great way to earn high-value links such as .edu and .gov links.
- Wikipedia links – Involves providing additional resources and information to Wikipedia pages related to your business or industry. Be sure to add value to articles first; any attempt to even appear to use Wikipedia purely as a link-building method will be swiftly met with hostility by the cabal of Wikipedia senior editors.
- Link reclamation – This technique involves finding and fixing any broken links on your website and other websites with links that back to yours.
- Affiliate link building – Requires you to reach out to authors who have recently published a content relevant to what you have written.
- Infographics – As one of the most engaging types of content, infographics take advantage of visual communication to appeal to readers.
- Forum posting – Involves participating in relevant forums where you can share valuable insight and resources to members’ questions related to your business or industry.
- Guest blogging – As the name implies, this technique allows you to earn high-quality links from reputable sites where you’re allowed to publish posts deemed valuable to their audience.
- Conference sponsorship– While this can an expensive route to take, this technique not only helps you earn quality backlinks to your site but also opens up the opportunity to form a long-term partnership with companies within your industry.
To learn more, check out this infographic.